You can diet. You can work out at the gym. You can take up martial arts. But why bother, when laughing is such a fun way to shed those pounds? And so little equipment required!
A burst of hearty laughter can give your body what neuroscientist Dr Helen Pilcher calls a “mini-aerobic workout”. It makes your heart beat faster. It makes your chest heave. It makes your belly muscles tighten. Facial muscles tighten (good for keeping the skin looking young). It’s a good all-round workout – a belly laugh can help shrink the belly.
There is some bad news and some good news in this. The bad news is that you have to laugh heartily for an hour to burn off 100 calories. The good news, is that an hour of extra laughing each day would be good for us party-pooper adults who forget to laugh throughout our day. How can we add more laughter?
- Sign up for some humorous email broadcasts.
- Follow some funny people on Twitter and befriend some funny people on FaceBook.
- Get up from your desk every now and then and drop in on the office clown, or anyone with whom you have found you can share a laugh.
- Tickle somebody (probably best to do this one at home); it often can end in getting very playful.
- Have kids. Yes, they also can cause a lot of stress, but they give you someone you can repeatedly tickle.
How would you increase the laughter in your day? Please let us know in the comments below.
By the way, you can tweet this post by clicking here: ReTweet this